Friday, February 25, 2011

Cloth Diapers - the "eco" nomics of it.

A while back I posted on the decision Lovey and I made to cloth diaper Sweet Pea.  You can read that post here.  We have had a fabulous experience with cloth diapering.  We're saving money, we're being environmentally responsible, and Sweet Pea has had a diaper rash free bum. Aside from the environmental and economical benefits of cloth diapering... there is something about a baby with a giant bum - courtesy of cloth diapers that is just. so. cute.  Not to mention that cloth diapers themselves have come a long way since the day that my mom was covering my bum in cloth, pins and rubber pants.  These days cloth diapers are downright fashionable.  I just can't wait until summertime when Sweet Pea will be toddling all over our yard in nothing but his cloth diaper as fashion accessory.

If you don't believe me that this is a new trend... take a look at a new-ish product that Huggies came out with... I'm convinced that they are responding to the cuteness of the cloth diaper craze! 

Even though I have RAVED about the benefits (and ease) of cloth diapers, some of my friends continue to be non-believers.  I can't seem to convert them to be cloth-diaper-aholics like me.... One friend of the anti-cloth persuasion asked questions about whether cloth diapers were REALLY more cost-effective and environmentally friendly in the long run -- especially if you factored in the water it takes to continually wash all those wet, poopy things.  And when this friend asked... I did not know the answer.  But now I do.  AND FYI... I STILL WIN.  (not that this is a competition... and if it were... (which it is not)... in all reality, it's the environment that wins.... And my checkbook.

You can check out the link to the article about the eco-nomics of cloth diapers here. 

It's a great article - geared specifically for residents of Colorado and discusses water usage and diapers.  Turns out that it takes LOADS more water (pun intended) to manufacture all those "disposable" diapers than it does to manufacture and wash cloth diapers.  This doesn't even take into account the petroleum products that go into the manufacturing of "disposable" diapers.  But don't take my word for it, read the article and inform yourself.

I still stand by my decision to cloth diaper my child.  And so does Lovey.  I hope that eventually more people will realize both the environmental and cost benefits of cloth diapering and give it a try.  Heck -- you don't even have to go "full boar" at first.  Buy one or two cloth diapers and try to use just one cloth diaper a day... ease yourself in.  I think you'll be surprised that it's not as difficult or overwhelming as you might think.

The environment will thank you, I will thank you, your child's bum with thank you, and the future inhabitants of this earth will thank you, too!

--bf

No comments:

Post a Comment