Tuesday, February 8, 2011

She's Crafty!

I. love. to. sew.  It all started a few years back when I became frustrated.  I mean REALLY REALLY frustrated with the price of clothes when I was shopping.  I just needed a few skirts.  I couldn't really find anything I liked - and the skirts that I did like -- were upwards of $60 - $80.  For a skirt!  An A-line skirt!

So, I thought to myself... "Self.  How hard can it be to make a skirt?  You should just buy a sewing machine and make your OWN skirts."  And so I did.  And so began my love for sewing.

I've made quite a few skirts.  Some I'm proud of.  Some I'm not so proud of.  I've also completed projects other than skirts... I made my Lovey a tie.  Out of corduroy.  Pink corduroy.  It turned out VERY COOL.  Lovey loves it -- he just doesn't have much reason to wear a tie.

I also made myself a sundress... that looked like a giant moo moo.  I'm not sure that I'm spelling "moo moo" right - but in this context the spelling of the word works -- because that is indeed what I looked like.  A giant hot pink cow.  Lovey wouldn't let me wear the sundress out of the house.  Or in the house.  It went to Goodwill.  Now someone is the proud owner of a dress that I slaved over... I hope it looks fantastic on someone a bit more "large and in charge" than me.

I made Lovey a pair of pajama pants.  They were a bit small.  But, he wears them every now and again just to make me feel like the effort was worth it.  I'm not sure if it's the size of the pants or the style -- it always looks like he has the pants on backwards - even when he puts them on the right way.  Good thing they are pj pants and he mostly wears them in the dark.  God Bless Lovey for loving me so much that he'll wear those horrible pants just to make me feel better.  He's a keeper.

After the epic fails at clothing that needs to "fit" -- I decided that I should stick to items that were non-clothing - until I can figure out how to make the appropriate changes to ensure proper garment fit.  So, I've stuck to baby receiving blankets, tote bags, etc.  I'm still trying to figure out my "fit" problems.  But goodness!  I do love fabric and sewing.  I'm addicted!

Of course, all of these projects were done before Sweet Pea came on the scene.  It's been a bit difficult to fit much "me" time into my life with a cuddly little guy... but lately I've been able to get a bit more time for some fun projects.  Sweet Pea heads off to bed sometime around 7:00 or 8:00 which gives me a bit of time to work on projects... It's taking me longer to get my projects done.  Gone are the days of "busting out a skirt" in one sitting - but I'm learning to slow down and enjoy the process.

And there are some nights that I work a bit later into the evening to get something done... because I just can't put down the fabric and back away from the machine.... but who needs sleep? Right?

In the past month, I've completed two kid's aprons - one for a little girl and one for a little boy... and a simple blanket/ tie quilt for Sweet Pea's birthday - it's done WAAAAY early... but like Sweet Pea will even remember.  He's not even one!!!


I've included a few photos for those that are interested... sorry they aren't the best angles/ images... I promise to work on my photography skills.  You know, in all my free time ;-)



Here is the little boy's apron.  It's reversible.  I can't take credit for this pattern... I found a free pattern for the apron here.... kid sized chef's apron  I made the apron to fit a 3 year old.  Sorry I don't have a photo of it ON a three year old... but the three year old does not belong to me ;-)





This is the little girl's apron.  I designed the pattern myself.  It was a bit of a pain... but in the end, I was happy with the result... I learned quite a bit... and was able to take out my aggression by continually ripping out my mistakes and staring over...  and over...  and over.  The apron was a gift for a family member - she's four.  Sorry that it isn't actually displayed ON a four year old.  I don't own one of those, either.





Finally, here are a couple of photos of Sweet Pea's quilt.  Finished last night.  I don't know if he will love it, but I really love it.  Finished size is about 44x57 or 58, I think.  I haven't actually measured it.  It was very, very simple to do... almost TOO easy.  I'm excited to try my hand a something a bit more complicated sometime in the future.

So - thanks for letting me share a few projects with you.  I'm having fun getting back into the sewing groove.  I've got projects stacked up on the sewing table and in my head.  I can't wait to start getting more creative!!  In the future I'll share some of my favorite books for projects... and the projects that I've playing with, too.

Any of you getting crafty these days?  I can't wait to hear more about the things you love to do!

--bf

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I too got addicted to sewing. :) Ok, so it's really the fabric I'm addicted to...proven by the fact that I have waaaaaaaay more fabric than I do sewn items. Oh well. I made a twin size quilt for Leina's big girl bed, with matching pillows and curtains. I've been working recently on clothing for my kid, she's a hard fit though as she's so tall and skinny that I have to make adjustments to the patterns. She ended up being the proud owner of a beautiful pair of italian wool pants that also look like they're on backwards no matter which way she puts them on. Note to self, don't buy expensive italian wool for clothing items again. :)

    Always fun to see someone else's projects! I LOVE the little girl apron and am so impressed that you created the pattern!

    Have fun sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie!! Great to hear that I'm not the only one with issues fitting clothes!

    ReplyDelete