Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Update to Tuesday Adventures

So - thanks to my friend Blaine, I may have actually "found" the machine I am looking for... on ebay of all places.  YAY.  It's not under the name I remember, of course.  And it doesn't look the same as I remember... but now that I see it, I'm pretty convinced that it might just be the same type we had when i was a kid.  Oh, how the aging mind plays tricks on me!

i seem to remember our machine making six donuts at a time - but this one makes two.  The box that the machine comes in looks oh, so, very familiar - so I think I'm on the right track.  Thank you Blaine!!

The best part of all this searching - is that I think I found the recipe that comes with the machine.  So - now I'm thinking that I might be able to use the pans I purchased and just use the recipe to make the donuts in my oven.  I can't think that the machine is going to cook them much different than my oven would - any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I'm thinking that I'll preheat the oven to 350 - and add either oil or butter to the recipe to keep the donuts from sticking to the pan and to (hopefully) give them a crispy outside.  AAAAAND if that doesn't work - maybe I'll have to break down and just purchase the machine.  The price on the darn machine is a steal - I just have issues with paying more for shipping than I do the price of the item... guess that makes me a cheap-skate!!

So... for all of you that are wanting to try the recipe along with me - I've decided to share... here it is!  Please let me know if you try it and what you think!

-
Plain Donut recipe from the childhood memories of brookefrances
  
1 cup sifted all purpose flour 
1/2 cup plus 1 level tablespoon sugar 
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 cup milk 
1 egg 
1/4 cup cooking oil 
Flavoring: vanilla, lemon, orange, or almond extract. Cinnamon or nutmeg (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)    according to taste.  

 Combine and sift together dry ingredients. Beat egg and milk together and then add the cooking oil.   Mix thoroughly into dry ingredients using an electric mixer. Preheat machine for 10 minutes;   pour in batter, then add 1/2 teaspoon of oil into each circular cavity at top of unit within first   2 minutes of baking. Bake for 5 minutes or, for crisper donuts, bake until oil no longer bubbles from   hole in top of lid. Makes 10 donuts.

1 comment:

  1. Recipe looks like the one I used with my donut making machine more years then I wish to recount. Heads up - I saw a donut backing machine at WalMart (Yes, I hate that place to but it is the only store around my feed store out here) anyway, it made six at a time and was not much money. Had a mental fight with myself not to place it in the cart - loved making donuts for the boys and they loved making and eating them too. Good luck and I sure hope I get donuts next time you come out - just a hint.

    ReplyDelete