Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Read Across America!

Did  you know that tomorrow is Read Across America Day? 

It's an important day in schools across our county.  An opportunity to focus on the joy of reading with our little ones.  Sweet Pea's daycare has invited parents to come in and read their favorite stories to the kiddies -- but since my parents are here for a visit, we'll be reading to Sweet Pea at home.

Read Across America Day falls on the same day as the birth date of Dr. Seuss.  My guess is that this date was purposeful - as so many of us grew up falling in love with reading through Dr. Seuss.  My personal favorite was the book I Can Read With My Eyes Shut Tight


I love to read.  And I loved to be read to as a child.  I am very passionate about books... there are far too many around my home.  While some might collect little trinkets or antiques.  I collect fabric and books... and books about fabric and sewing.  And cookbooks.  I collect cookbooks, too.  It's a bit embarrassing how many books I own.  But of all the bad habits to have... I'd say that having a few too many books is a pretty acceptable bad habit (at least in my book... no pun intended).

I hope to instill a love of reading in Sweet Pea, too.  I've been trying to read to him on a regular basis.  But the little guy has the attention span of a gnat.  Just about the time I'm really getting into a book - he's ready to be done listening and on the move.  So - many times we don't sit with a book in front of us.  I just pretend to read to him, but making up my own stories and telling them to him... while we walk, while we bake, and while we snuggle.

I'm hoping that as he gets a bit older, he'll appreciate reading and begin to love it as much as I do.  And while Dr. Seuss had some great books... here are a few more of my personal favorites that are a "must have" for any kid's library. 

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.  I loved this book - all about him and his steam shovel that got trapped in the hole he dug with it.  It's a bit of a long book, but so sweet.  I used to love when my mom read it to me.   She read me a story every night.   (I'm guessing I picked this book often because it took forever to finish... and this meant I was able to stay up longer).

The Giving Tree or any Shel Silverstein book, for that matter.  The man had a way with words... and I just enjoy his books so very much!  Can't wait to read some of his poems to Sweet Pea!!

And I Mean It Stanley! 
 My Grandpa's name is Stanley.  This book is about a little girl who is trying to do some creative building and is telling Stanly the dog to leave her alone and not cause any trouble.  It's such a sweet book and reminds me of my grandpa.  The book has a lot of nostalgia.  And the illustrations are very fun, too. 

I realize you may think that there are quite a few amazing "go to" books missing on this list.  But most everyone falls in love with Where the Wild Things Are or 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.  I tried to pick the books that I loved and books that many may not have heard about or even had as a part of their childhood.

I hope that some of these books pique your interest, or spur you to dig through some of your own books... so that you not only READ to your kids... but you read them a story that is important to you and TELL them a story of how that book impacted your childhood.

Happy Read Across America Day.  Take some time to read tomorrow.  Read to your kids... and read something for yourself.  Enjoy a book, a magazine article, a newspaper.  But celebrate reading!!

I'd love to hear about your favorite childhood books... Anyone want to share?  Sweet Pea needs some good reading material!

-bf

No comments:

Post a Comment