Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Not Your Average Joe -- Yep. I Concur.

Politics is an area that I typically tend to shy away from... It seems to open a can of worms and I like to tread lightly so as to not get everyone riled up.  However -- today I feel the need to jump in and speak my mind.  Forgive me my tirade. 

I live in House District 9 in Colorado.  The other day I received a mailer for State House Representative Joe Miklosi (D) -- he's currently running for re-election.  I've actually had drinks with Joe -- my friend Natalie has done volunteer work for him and she introduced us.  He seemed like a nice enough guy. 

But then, last week, this mailer came.  And now I think that either Joe is somewhat out of touch with his District, or he's in need of a new PR person.  Or both.  Take a look at what I received in the mail and let's see if you share my concerns...



Here's what I see.  There's a whole bunch of White people on this flier.  Only one photo on the mailer (front & back) represents people of color.  The photo is of a Black family - right smack in the middle of the photo -- and they represent people with foreclosure issues.  REALLY?  The only people of color on your flier are the ones that need financial help.... OH, JOE.  I'm guessing that your PR person is a moron -- and that you have no people of color on your campaign team... because this is just a BAD MOVE for your campaign.

For the record, House District 9 isn't just comprised of White people and Black people.  We have a high population of Arabs and Latinos -- they are not represented anywhere on this flier... so I guess if they received this in the mail -- they know that Joe doesn't really represent them OR care about their opportunities.

I know that this is just one small mailer... but I think it points to a much larger issue with Joe Miklosi and his understanding of Diversity.  And I say this as someone who tends to vote Democrat about someone who is a Democratic candidate.

I'm a little disappointed in the person who is currently representing me at the capitol.  I don't think he gets the District... I don't think he gets me or the issues that concern me.  And now, looking back to when I met with him all those months ago -- I remember he spent more time talking about himself than he did asking me about MY concerns and how he could better represent ME as a person in his District.

So Joe -- you've got a little time before the election.... I think you have some work to do... because as of right now -- you certainly don't have my vote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment