Thursday, July 8, 2010

Guardianship: What Happens if Something Happens to Us?

I never realized that being a parent would lead to so many BIG, IMPORTANT conversations and decisions right from the get go.  I know I SHOULD have realized this.  But man - this "grown up" thing is making my brain hurt!

Vaccinations. Daycare.  We had a boy - so there was a conversation about circumcision.  And we're still working out the REALLY hard decisions.  What happens if something happens to US?  How much life insurance is enough?  Who do we get a policy through?  And what about a will?  Is there such a thing as a "do it yourself" will?  If not -- where the heck do we even find a lawyer to draw up a will? And how do we make the REALLY tough decision about who should take care of Sweet Pea if we aren't here to do it? And WHY is it that this isn't covered in the hospital birthing class or the baby books?  I'm a relatively smart person.  My husband is, too.  But this is new territory and we need a road map!

These conversations are scary and exhausting.  Some questions will most likely just take a little bit of research. (I'll get right on that in all of my free time).  But other questions are taking some soul searching and a very honest look at our values... our hopes and dreams for Sweet Pea.  And let's be honest.  No one really wants to think about not being around to take care of their baby.  Nor do we want to make a rash decision, either.  Because, for us, there doesn't seem to be an "obvious" choice.  We have many options - but no option is perfect... I'm not sure anyone has a "perfect" answer.  Perfect means you don't worry that you'll kick the bucket and leave your kid an orphan.

My husband's family is located in Colorado.  My family in Wisconsin.  Either option will mean that it will be work for Sweet Pea to stay connected to family.  Both of us have brothers - but our brothers are single.  It doesn't really seem fair to designate a single man as the sole guardian for Sweet Pea.  ("Surprise, Brother! You've never cared for a baby -- but now you get to!  Good Luck!")  And our parents, while WONDERFUL, are aging...  For the record, mine are older.... But, if Sweet Pea loses us - is it really fair to worry that his guardians might not be around long either?  And will they have the energy to even keep up with our crazy kid? Do we look to extended family?  Is that a slap in the face to our parents and siblings?  These questions don't have quick, easy answers -- but I feel pressure that we need to figure it out quickly.  Our child is on the planet - and if, suddenly, we aren't... it's not really fair to ask our families to play the part of King Solomon.

All the doom and gloom talk is depressing!  I'd rather go back to talking about what we think Sweet Pea will be when he grows up or what his first word will be.  (I'm pretty sure he's already said it, and it's "Hi" -- yes, my 3 month old is a boy genius!)

So, today, I don't have a book review or a cute story about how motherhood has opened my eyes and given me a new perspective on life.  Today, I have loads of questions - with no answers in sight.  Perhaps the folks that are reading this can offer some perspective on their own personal experiences with these decisions.  I know many of you are older and wiser... and some of you are just a few steps ahead of my husband and me in our parenting process.  I'm guessing your wisdom will not only assist me, but perhaps others that might be following my journey.  Thanks in advance for your insights!

1 comment:

  1. That question is such a hard one for me that in four years we haven't made it yet! Of course, I think that is more out of fear and a bit of laziness than not having good options. I have three sisters who are all married and I would trust any one of them. My husband and I were asked to be guardians within just a few days of good friends of ours finding out they were pregnant. They have a peace of mind knowing their baby will be taken care of...I'm not sure that their parents know yet though. If I didn't have sisters, I think I might ask them right back if they would consider guardianship of our girls...and I think they would say "yes"...not because I don't love my parents dearly but, as you say, that is a lot to ask of a child to deal with so much loss in what could be relatively little time. Don't know if that helps, but...there it is.

    ReplyDelete