Friday, January 28, 2011

The Weekend Awaits!

It's Friday night - and I'm at home... in a quiet house...  It's the calm before the storm.  Sweet Pea fell asleep early - which means he's not asleep for good.  So as I await the arrival of my Chinese dinner - I'm contemplating what I'll attempt to do this weekend...

It's been a frustrating week at work.  And I've been having a pity party.  Yep that's me -- "Woa is Me?  Party of One?  Your table is ready!"  I'm frustrated because I'm struggling to find value in my work - AND I'm also struggling because I don't feel like my work values me.  I feel like I'M working hard to show my employees that I value them - but the feeling isn't reciprocated... But maybe that isn't their job... And maybe I should feel more confident in my abilities as a boss.  But a simple - "Thanks for all you do, you're a great boss and we notice how you look out for us" would go a long way... (I guess there is the very REAL possibility that I am NOT a great boss - and that is why no one says Thank You... and maybe THIS is why I am so bothered and frustrated... but I digress.

All of the above thoughts are swirling around in my head... And  I'm wondering - does my boss feel like this, too?  Does she feel like she's bending over backwards and sideways to support the people she supervises but that none of us are telling her "THANKS for having my back" - or "your support really means the world to me?" Do other people at my level in the organization have the same frustrations - do they feel underpaid (no raises for the THIRD year in a row) and undervalued?  Sometimes in order to receive love - you just need to give more of it... Maybe it's high time I stop whining and spread a little more of the love myself.

So-- since I bake when I'm frustrated and stressed... and in case you haven't noticed, I AM frustrated and stressed... my plan is to do some baking this weekend and share the love.  In the off-chance that someone on the receiving end of one of my gifts has bothered to read this post - I think I'll resist the urge to share the actual plans... But if folks are interested, I'll share at the end of the process - with pictures and (hopefully) some reactions to said baking/ love-fest.  

Here's to focusing on the positive - and rather than focusing on what I'm not getting... I'm going to make sure that I'm putting out into the universe what I would like see come back!

--bf

3 comments:

  1. For the record, I thought you were a great boss. Right now, I'm a Project Leader and I often model myself after you, Brooke. I always saw you as fun, without loosing my respect for you.

    Go Packers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chad - I appreciate the kind words. For whatever reason, I'm really struggling at work right now and I'm having a hard time finding meaning and value. So it helps to have a little reinforcement that I'm doing an OK job sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is something I repeat to myself and it seems to assist in those times of not feeling valued...

    "I am the principle of peace within me. I am the manifestation of love within me. My mind is poised in strength and beauty. All sense of fear or doubt is gone. Fear has no power over me: Love is my substance"

    So bake away and know that you are the love and value you are seeking.

    ReplyDelete