Sunday, January 23, 2011

Counting My Blessings...

Right before the holidays -- Lovey and I went to see the musical "White Christmas".  It was one of his birthday presents...  which falls just a few short days before Christmas (this always makes gift giving a bit of a challenge....)  I usually try to pick something that allows us to do something together - try something new, experience something a bit outside of our routine.  This year - it was even more important as our "couple" time plays second fiddle to our family time...  So, some neighbors and great friends watched our sweet pea and we headed off to Littleton, CO to see a little community theatre.

It had been a while since I had watched the movie "White Christmas" and I'd never seen the play. For some reason,  I'm reminded of it tonight as I get ready to get back into the grind of another work week.

It's easy for me to gear up for the week and think of all the things that are "wrong" in my life... all the things that don't fit my current vision or plan for where I would like to be... (too much time at work, not enough time with Sweet Pea; I haven't had a raise in over two years and I don't feel valued/ appreciated at work; and I don't know how the hell to fix any of it; blahblahblah whine whine whine)... So - tonight I'm taking a moment to reflect upon the lines of one of my favorite songs from "White Christmas"...

When i'm worried and i can't sleep
i count my blessings instead of sheep

and i fall asleep counting my blessings

It is such a beautiful song -- and the message is as true today as it was when the movie first came out.  

I lead SUCH a blessed life...

I am the proud mama to a healthy, sweet, engaging, baby boy... he brings more joy to my life than he will ever know.  Every second I spend with him is a gift - and while it might not be as much time as I would like... there are some out there that are wishing for a child to love and others who are grieving the loss or illness of their child.  I am so blessed.

I have a wonderful, caring, supportive husband.  We make a great team!  I am so very blessed!


I have a job.  My job provides me a salary and benefits - including health insurance.  There are many others that are searching for work, or are uninsured and facing huge medical bills.  I may not like my job EVERY day - but I enjoy my work and I feel like I make a difference... Not to mention that I have wonderful colleagues.  I am so blessed.

I have friends and family that love me, care about me, and genuinely want me to succeed.  My support system includes not just my family - but my husband's family, too.  And I genuinely LIKE my husband's family (how many people WISH they could say that!).  And while my family lives far away - and I miss them and wish Sweet Pea and I saw them more... I remind myself that my mom is over 2 years cancer-free.  Every day with her is a gift.  Sweet Pea and I are so blessed to be able to spend time with her even if it is only every few months. 


I have a warm home and a safe place to lay my head. I have money in a savings account. I have plenty of food in my fridge.  The list could go on and on and on... I am so so very blessed.  

And as I drift off to sleep tonight I will count my blessings... and tomorrow I will count them again.





2 comments: